Where I talk about things that interest me

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Making a chuck box

Normally when I go camping I like to bring as little as possible. I try to only bring dehydrated foods and try to get everything in one bag, two at the most. You know, the whole minimalist idea. I had a wake up call the last few weekends while taking a friend and our families hunting/camping. When you have nine people, you have to bring alot of food, plates, cups, silverware, etc. and I wasn't prepared for that. So that sets me on a mission to find something that I can organize all the extra stuff needed when taking a group to the property.

Enter the chuck box. I did some research and got some ideas of what I want to do. Of course I have to build it myself because I'm cheap and why spend money. Learn how to do it yourself. It may come in handy some day.

Keeping with the cheap idea. I had this old foot locker that has stuff just piled in it for storage. Last night Shiney was over and we were looking at it. Then I thought I would convert this locker to a chuck box.


I was trying to figure out how to take it apart to put a hinged front on it and Shiney says, "It's already done for you. Flip it over." So we did and now it looks like this.


This is kinda the general idea of how it will lay out. I already have some 1/4 plywood and some quarter round to make some shelves inside. I will add some little plastic tote type containers to keep everything tidy.


I will post more pics as I make progress on it. I will have to devise some legs for it to sit on.

I already checked the measurements and it will fit in the cargo area of my Jeep Cherokee, when I get it. In a short time I hope to be the owner of one of these. Time for some mud action.

God Bless Yall!

1 comment:

Keith said...

Stay away from deep water! We had a friend who had one of these. One day when crossing a flooded creek, our Tojo had no problem, but the Jeep floated away!!!
We had to go after him. Fortunately he got caught up in some overhanging branches of a tree and we were able to get a line to him and pull him out with the Tojo.
Le Loup.

Post a Comment