Where I talk about things that interest me

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rehydrating dehydrated trail food

I got a few books a few years ago about making your own trail foods. So I started making my own. Through the process I discovered that casserole type dishes work the best as well as beans/rice, chili, and spaghetti. That does not leave alot of options, but these dishes are usually healthy and have the required ingredients for energy levels. I have been meaning to post about this for a while, but have been preoccupied.

I dried a dish of scrambled eggs out a few months ago. I set out today to do the demonstration. Here is my set up. I would rather do it over a fire, but this is quicker and less clean up.


Here are the dried eggs with salsa.


Add enough water to cover the food. You can always add more later.


Bring the contents to a rolling boil. With beans and rice it just takes a few minutes. You just have to watch it and experiment. Stir often because it WILL burn. Ask me how I know.


A shot of the stove cooking some lunch.


After a few minutes of boiling, turn off the fire and remove. Cover the pot and whittle a stick, take a walk, practice a skill or something that takes about 30 minutes. When you come back, the dish will be cool enough to eat and will have soaked up all the water it can. Add salt/pepper or anything else you like.


This was the first time to try the egg dish. I won't be taking this on the trail. It was yuck. I'll stick to oatmeal with raisins and honey for breakfast.

Give it a try. Get a nice dehydrator that has adjustable temp settings. There is all kinds of camping foods you can make with the dehydrator.

God Bless Yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment