Where I talk about things that interest me

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The 4X4 Station Wagon

Back in November my wife's car was totaled.  Praise the Lord she and kids are ok!  So then the search for a new ride began.  It was decided that she would begin driving my Corolla and I would get another vehicle.  The hunt began on Craigslist for a 4x4 SUV type vehicle.  After a few weeks of searching, I swung in to a small mom and pop car dealership and there it was.  A 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4, 3.0, 5speed.  When I asked how much, my jaw dropped.  $1800.  Then I asked, "Where do I sign?"

This is how it looked the day I brought it home.  First thing I did was replace all fluids.  They all looked good but I wanted to start with a new baseline on maintenance. Then I had to take off the step bars and get rid of those silly rims.  I had big plans.  Good thing people were steady buying parts off the XJ.  This allowed me to fund the T4R toys.





I learned alot about what to do and not do while building the XJ.  So on this truck I decided to only do a small lift and go straight to bumpers and lockers.  On the XJ I locked the front axle so I had to have the truck in 4wd all the time to use it.  With this truck I plan to lock the rear first.  90% of the time 2wd is all you need.  Plus the 7.5" diff up front is considered "weak". As it sits now...

Current mods:
Cragar Soft 8's, 15x7 w/at tires
OME901 coils
2" Ball Joint Spacers
Custom tube bumper (makers name withheld)
Mile Marker SEC8000 winch
TG extended brake lines
Warn locking hubs
Rear Cargo Storage system
Powertank

Future plans:
Front/Rear Spartan Lockers (sitting on workbench)
CAD delete tube (sitting on workbench)
Rear bumper with tire swing
LED bar/pods up front
Rock Sliders
Bud Built Armor, full set.
Full vinyl wrap
TRD E-Locker 3rd member
Remove remaining chrome

And a pic of it's first offroad trip.  It did great.  I only need 4wd once.  When the rear locker is in, 4wd may rarely get used.  Granted the 4wd rarely gets used anyway.  This is my DD, so I have to take care of it.  So far I love this truck.  It fires off instantly and runs great.  I will be replacing the TPS soon.  That should help with mileage.  As of now I am getting 14.3mpg.  I have seen reports of mpg as high as 18, with 33" tires and a lift.  It's no prius, but it will go where no prius has ever gone before.

I want to get this bumper sticker....













God Bless Yall!

No comments:

Post a Comment